Let’s cozy up with some mulled wine. Turn on some music, build a fire or light some candles, throw some spices and wine in a pot, and embrace the holiday season. It’s really that simple.
I’ve always associated mulled wine with holiday parties, but a single batch is perfect for two to four people. Mulled wine is unbelievably easy to make, even on a weeknight, and fills your home with holiday fragrance.
Wine forms the backbone of this recipe, so naturally, your wine selection is important. Some red wines that you might enjoy at room temperature will not taste so nice when heated. Do not use expensive wine for mulled wine, since we’re adding so much to it. Just choose a quality wine (say, 10 to 20 dollars per bottle) and select the varietal carefully.
The best red wine to use for mulled wine is Merlot, Zinfandel or Garnacha (also called Grenache). These wines are dark, fruity and full bodied, which means they can support all of the flavors we’ll be adding. Look for labels that describe the wine as “jammy” or with “notes of vanilla.”
Avoid red wines that are high in tannins or super oaky in flavor, like Cabernet Sauvignon (I say this as someone who generally enjoys Cabernet Sauvignon). Also avoid very light red wines, like Pinot Noir, because they don’t offer enough body to carry the spices.
- 6 cups (1.5L) red wine
- 4 cups (1L) pomegranate juice
- Juice of 2 oranges
- 150g caster sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 whole star anise
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- 1 orange, thinly sliced
- 1 small pear, thinly sliced
- Combine the red wine, pomegranate juice, orange juice in a large saucepan.
- Stir in the sugar, cinnamon stick, star anise, cloves and pomegranate seeds.
- Cover over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes or until sugar đissolves and mixture is aromatic.
- Add the orange slices and pear slices just before serving.
- 6 cốc (1.5L) rượu vang đỏ
- 4 cốc (1L) nước ép lựu
- Nước ép của 2 quả cam
- 150g đường bánh mì
- 2 thanh quế
- 4 cây hồi
- 6 tép cloves
- 2 thìa hạt lựu
- 1 quả cam, cắt lát mỏng
- 1 quả lê nhỏ, cắt lát mỏng
- Cho rượu vang đỏ, nước ép lựu, nước cam vào một cái nồi lớn.
- Cho đường, quế thanh, hoa hồi, đinh hương và hạt lựu vào đảo đều.
- Đậy nắp nồi, để lửa vừa - nhỏ, thỉnh thoảng khuấy trong 30 phút hoặc cho đến khi đường tan và hỗn hợp có mùi thơm.
- Bỏ vào vài lát cam và lát lê ngay trước khi uống.
Em mời cả nhà nhé 🍷